As working moms, we have all been there. Life gets busy or we hit a hard season and the first thing to go out the window are our organization habits. We hit survival mode. In this episode, hear from professional organizer Monique Horb on the importance of holding onto your habits in times of chaos and if you have already lost them, we’ll give you the steps to get back on track.
About Our Guest
Monique Horb has a passion for helping women who are busy, tired, and overwhelmed. She does this by organizing homes and paper piles so that women can be more productive, have time and energy to live their purpose and live the life they want. She loves to say, Life Is Easier Organized!
She began her business, Organizing Your Chaos, after experiencing depression, bankruptcy, adoption, marriage, and medical crisis. These things were out of her control, and her home was falling apart. Through twists and turns, she learned that with an organized home she was able to manage.
Monique was raised in southwest Michigan and graduated from Taylor University, a Christian college in Indiana, with a BA in Sociology & Psychology. She met her husband through a friend while working at Spring Hill Camps in Michigan. They have been married for twenty-five years and have six children, two dogs, and a cat. Her life experiences have pushed her out of her comfort zone and shaped the business that she created.
She loves to help women who struggle to get their homes organized. She knows that the simple (yet difficult) act of getting your home organized gives hope. Hope propels us forward, gives confidence, and allows changes to happen. This can change your life.
When asked, “How do you do it?” she responds, “I get up and get dressed.”
She believes that being willing to take off the mask, ask for help and work hard, alongside faith in God, has changed her life. She continues to help women change their lives, and shares that we are all better when we are in community together.
Action Items and Tips From the Show
How we use our time has affects our family, friends, and work. This impacts our emotions and relationships. Are you a “plan ahead kind of girl”, or a “fly by the seat of my pants and hope it gets done” kind of girl? Daily we each choose how we use our time. We get to (yes, we all have something to offer!) impact our world each day. Take a few minutes to answer the following questions.
- Are you generally on time or running behind?
- If you generally run behind, how does this make you feel?
- Do you put things away? Do you use a schedule?
- How does this affect others and how do they react?
- How would you feel if you were on time, and how would others feel about you?
- Weekly appointment with yourself (keep it!)
- Look at what needs to be done this week only and plan when you will do it
- Don’t over schedule
- Schedule self-care (something that fills you up, give you emotional energy)
Daily Follow-up Steps
- If it didn’t get done, move it to the next day
- Put things away every day, everything needs a home
- Be grateful for what you accomplished, don’t focus on what you didn’t
Benefits of having your time organized
- You will save time looking for things
- You will have more energy when you plan ahead
- You know when to get things done: groceries, laundry, errands, bill paying
- You can plan family activities
- You can plan self-care, so you will be able to care for everyone else
Money is a tool that we use for our needs, wants, fun, and not so fun things. Money can cause us to feel stressed out, frustrated, and depressed. Money provides feelings of security, joy, and abundance as well as stress, insecurity, and frustration. A few questions to think about how money is impacting you.
- Are you able to pay your bills? Are you paying your bills on time?
- Do you “spend” money when you don’t have the money? (Credit cards)
- Do you plan how you spend your money or are you a reactionary spender?
- Are you able to save money as well as bless others with your abundance?
- Create a bill tracker so you know how much money you need
- Schedule into your month what days you will pay your bills, and pay them
- Plan a grocery budget, you will save money by eating at home and eat healthier
- Decide if you really need something, give yourself a waiting period
- Save money
Benefits of having your money organized
- You will have less stress
- You will pay bills on time and eliminate late fees
- You will have fewer arguments regarding money
- You can save money
- You can give and bless others
Less Stress/More energy
When you invest time in planning your week and budget, you can lower your stress level and feel more energized. Knowing what to expect during the week gives you confidence that you will show up well. Being unprepared and flying by the seat of our pants causes stress, anxiety, arguments. The negative emotions we feel from not being prepared and letting people down can cause frustration, anxiety, depression, and feelings of failure.
The good news is, you get to choose what kind of life you want to live. You may not be able to change your circumstances overnight, but you can make daily choices that can change the direction of your life. Choosing to act instead of reacting, this will help to have more control over your stress levels.
- How would you feel if you weren’t so stressed?
- What would you do if you had more time and energy?
- How would your family and work relationships change?
- Invest time in your weekly planning
- Honor appointments with yourself
- Get back up when you don’t follow through (it will happen!)
- Get necessary sleep
Benefits of Less Stress
- You will feel better
- Family and work relationship will improve
- Less stress about money and schedules
- More physical and emotional energy
- Live happier
Weekly Success Planning Course
Have you subscribed to the show yet? Don't miss a single upcoming episode because when you subscribe, you will automatically get it the show in your app. If you don't have a podcast app, not to worry. You can download the Your Life Rocks app and get the shows right in the palm of your hand. Otherwise, click here to subscribe on iTunes or here for Android.
Love the show? It would mean the world if you would leave a rating and review. It helps other working Christian moms find the show because if you like the show enough to leave a review, iTunes will suggest it to others. Click here to leave a review in iTunes. Just click on "Ratings and Reviews", then "Write a Review".