SUBSCRIBE TO OUR AWESOME CHANNEL BY CLICKING IN ANY OF OUR BUTTONS BELOW!
Stress and relationships seem to go hand in hand, and it doesn’t always have the best outcomes. But what if it could? This is part two of a two-part series with Dr. Mariam Coaster and in this episode, she is sharing practical tips for all of us working moms on how we can show up as our best selves, and restore relationships in spite of the stress around them.
ABOUT OUR GUEST
Mariam Coaster Ph.D., LMFT (InRelationship.us; mariamcoaster.com) is a wife to a wonderful husband, and mother to two beautiful children, a two-year-old boy, and a 3-month-old girl. Professionally, she has a doctorate in neuroscience and is a licensed marriage and family therapist. She primarily works with couples and women at her private practice in Franklin, TN. She is passionate about helping people grow towards healing and restoration in their closest relationships. She is also the co-founder of InRelationship, and a marriage workshop called 7 Conversations to Enrich your Marriage. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her family, cooking up a new-found recipe, and being actively involved in her church.
TIPS SHARED ON THE SHOW
Working through stressors in relationships We navigate stress in relationships through ownership and re-connection. This results in greater emotional health, holiness and healing in relationships.
Own your part: taking ownership for your part in the stress by spending time in self-reflection and prayer
1) Choosing to step away from the distressing relationship to gather yourself.
2) During self-reflection, pray for humility, wisdom and connection with God and yourself.
3) Use the stress indicators (feelings, thoughts and body sensations) to slow down and access heart issues:
a. What is really bothering me about this relationship?
b. What am I choosing to rely on or hope in more than God? What heart issues or ruling desires can I let go of?
c. How can the Gospel reorient my perspective to accept Christ’s perfect, sufficient grace, and therefore extend mercy, grace and love in the relationship?
1) Pray for wisdom on how to approach the relationship – ask for an opportune time to share your heart.
2) Share how your stress indicators (feelings, thoughts, and body sensations) showed up for you in the relationship.
3) Share heart issues or desires that became inordinately important during the stress. Share about your own repentance and how God gave you perspective in the situation.
4) Ask for what you may need to restore connection with that person, and talk about how to work through such a stressor together in the future.
LEARN MORE ABOUT OUR GUEST
Life balance at your fingertips? Yes, we got it right here on our official Your Life Rocks life balance app! Download free now.