Ok, we know that this is a hard year for everyone, but it is especially hard on our kiddos. As a mom, it breaks my heart to watch my kids struggle and so I invited Dr. Melissa to come on the show to empower us to lead our kids in their health to help them thrive. We are not just talking about physical health, but mental and spiritual health too.
About Our Guest
Dr. Melissa Choi is a board-certified family and obesity medicine physician. She grew up in
Minnesota spent her college and medical school years in Rhode Island and returned to
Minnesota with her husband 11 years ago. They have 3 daughters under the age of 10. When
she is not caring for patients, she enjoys trying new recipes in her kitchen, going on bike rides
with her family, and having meaningful conversations with friends and neighbors over coffee.
Action Items and Tips From the Show
4 Pillars of Health: Sleep, Diet, Exercise, Mental/Spiritual Health
● Deprivation can lead to health problems such as high blood pressure, difficulty
concentrating, irritability, obesity
● Children with adequate sleep have a healthier immune system, improved concentration
and mental health
● Healthy food choices
● Limiting processed foods, which can increase inflammation and decrease immune
● Whole foods (e.g. fruits, vegetables, things not in packages)
● Drinking water and milk (avoid juice, soda, sugar drinks)
● Healthy snacks but not too close to dinner
● Physical activity at least 60 minutes per day
● Do things as a family: bike rides, tennis, ice skating, sledding
● Invite a friend to go on a bike ride
● No more than 2 hours of screen time per day
● Limit areas where screens are (e.g. not in bedrooms, not at the dinner table)
● Challenge to balance screen-time with remote learning or hybrid learning
○ Take breaks when using computer/tablets for long periods of time
○ Have kids do as much work off screens (e.g. worksheets, etc.) as possible
Mental and Spiritual Health:
● Taking time connecting as a family, praying together
● Reading their bible, talking about it as a family
● Reaching out to neighbors, playing with friends socially distanced
● Helping others in our community
Looking for more tips and inspiration designed for working Christian moms?
Grab the Lifestyle Guide inside the Your Life Rocks app
Have you subscribed to the show yet? Don't miss a single upcoming episode because when you subscribe, you will automatically get it the show in your app. If you don't have a podcast app, not to worry. You can download the Your Life Rocks app and get the shows right in the palm of your hand. Otherwise, click here to subscribe on iTunes or here for Android.
Love the show? It would mean the world if you would leave a rating and review. It helps other working Christian moms find the show because if you like the show enough to leave a review, iTunes will suggest it to others. Click here to leave a review in iTunes. Just click on "Ratings and Reviews", then "Write a Review".
Learn More About Our Guest