Going through a change of careers, companies, or even just growing where you are, takes a solid action plan to get to where you want to go. In this episode, we are joined by author and fellow working mom, Sonia Cameron as she shares 5 tips to help you prepare for your next career transition.
About Our Guest
Sonia H. Cameron is a published author and blogger that writes to encourage career individuals in transition. Her goal is to inspire those wanting more out of their life’s purpose to find the job of their dreams.
Born in Wilmington, NC, Sonia has worked in corporate America for over 25 years, with her current position placing her at an information technology firm in Research Triangle Park, NC. Throughout her career, Sonia has experienced numerous peaks and valleys, leading to several transition periods. During these times of transition, Sonia learned key principles and discovered necessary tools to help her excel every time.
As a result of wanting to share her experiences to encourage and empower those in similar situations, Sonia began blogging about job hunting and career enhancement. She began sharing her story on her blog Bless the Work in 2010, with the most viewed page being her encouragement blog section. This blog would eventually create an avenue for Sonia to publish her first article for Christian Devotions in 2014.
Sonia’s most recent project is a book released on Amazon in May 2020. The book, titled God, Please Help Me Find A Job: 21 Prayers for the Job Seeker is a guide aimed to assist readers in seeking the face of God so that they can make the right decision when it comes to procuring job opportunities.
When she’s not writing, Sonia loves to spend time with her husband and blended family; she loves to cook equally as much as she cooks to love.
Action Items and Tips From the Show
5 Tips For Acing The Job Search Process
- Rehearse your WINs from the past–Write down detailed stories of how you had success in your past positions. How you saw it benefit your employer. How you created a WIN for the customer as well as for yourself and your firm. This will help you have material for your interview and give you confidence that you are a viable candidate
- Take a baby step every day towards your career goal. Faith without works is dead according to James. You don’t have to do a lot of work to make a change..a little a day is enough. Consistency is the name of the game. If you don’t know where to start, use my 21 days of preparation checklist –provided to the podcast…or you can retrieve it from my website blessthework.com
- Pick a scripture to encourage yourself. Make it your mantra. Post it everywhere in your house and in your car. Carry it in your wallet. When you think you might lose your mind, use the scripture to remind you of God’s promises and to center and calm you.
- Dare to dream BIG. How can you find your dream job if you don’t have a dream? Take the time to intentionally dream. This will help you develop a strategy of who what when and where you feel you will succeed. Mustard seed faith is all you need.
- This is the best one of all! It is wise to spend at least 5 minutes a day communicating with God. Talking and Listening. Tune into the frequency of God within you to receive guidance and direction. God has a plan specifically for you and the only way to tap into that plan is to have a relationship with Him. Practice spending time in His presence. This is where my book comes in. God, Please Help Me Find A Job will prompt you in prayer about your situation.
Get free tips and inspiration for working moms on our YouTube Channel
Have you subscribed to the show yet? Don't miss a single upcoming episode because when you subscribe, you will automatically get it the show in your app. If you don't have a podcast app, not to worry. You can download the Your Life Rocks app and get the shows right in the palm of your hand. Otherwise, click here to subscribe on iTunes or here for Android.
Love the show? It would mean the world if you would leave a rating and review. It helps other working Christian moms find the show because if you like the show enough to leave a review, iTunes will suggest it to others. Click here to leave a review in iTunes. Just click on "Ratings and Reviews", then "Write a Review".
Learn More About Our Guest
- Instagram @blessthework
- Website: http://blessthework.com