Today we are going beyond your budget and talking about how to take your financial goals to the next level. Our guest and Certified Financial Planner, Christina Gatteri talks with us about how and when to invest, how to make your savings work harder for you, and how you can plan for the bigger things in life.
About Our Guest
Christina has over fourteen years of experience in financial assistance. Her passion is helping young families realize financial success–regardless of the unexpected turns, their life may take. She holds a Bachelor of Science in Economics from the Universityof Tampa. Upon her return to New England in 2005,she began her own practice as a Financial Advisor. She earned her Certificate of Financial Planning from Boston University, subsequently becoming a Certified Financial Planner™. Christina lives in Pascoag,RI with her husband Luke and daughters Olivia and Lily. She loves spending time outdoors hiking, beaching, or gardening. She enjoys using her personal experiences towards finding innovative ways to help her clients.
Action Items and Tips From the Show
How to find the right advisor for you
- Do your homework on their background. Look them up to make sure they have a clean record.
- Do they listen to you and your goals?
- How do you feel whe you talk to them?
Core finacial peices to have in order:
- Management of your cash flow (aka your budget)
- Pay down debt
- Invest for the things that matter and big life events
How to know when your ready to invest?
- When you have your cash flow under control and are able to establish a plan to pay off your debt in a time frame that meets your goals AND you have more that you can pull from.
The places to invest:
- Take advantage of your employer match at a minimum.
- Then add 1-2% each quarter and see how it feels. Adjust more or less as needed.
How do you prioritize your finanical goals when you have more than one?
- Ask yourself where you want to have choices.
- Write out all your goals (retirement, travel, college, ect)
- Areas that you are willing to sacrifice can go at the bottom of your priority list
- Areas that you want choices, go to the top
- Each goal will have it’s own vehicle to get there
Making the most of your savings:
Your savings goal should be 3-6 months of your expenses and split into thirds
- 1/3 should be in a 6-12 month CD
- 1/3 in an online savings account with a higher interest rate
- 1/3 in a savings account tied to your checking
3 Tips Everyone Needs To Know
- Manage your credit cards
- Make sure you have a limit that you feel comfortable paying off. If you can’t, call and have your limit lowered.
- Ask your credit card company not to increase your limit unless you ask them to.
- Set up auto deposits into your savings account from your checking account each month.
- Check your credit report. You can get a free copy of your credit report each year from each credit company. Make it a standard practice to request one every three months.
Weekly Success Planning Course
Have you subscribed to the show yet? Don't miss a single upcoming episode because when you subscribe, you will automatically get it the show in your app. If you don't have a podcast app, not to worry. You can download the Your Life Rocks app and get the shows right in the palm of your hand. Otherwise, click here to subscribe on iTunes or here for Android.
Love the show? It would mean the world if you would leave a rating and review. It helps other working Christian moms find the show because if you like the show enough to leave a review, iTunes will suggest it to others. Click here to leave a review in iTunes. Just click on "Ratings and Reviews", then "Write a Review".