How much is too much screen time for your kids? As a working mom, nothing brings on mom guilt like trying to navigate these waters. Join us in this discussion with Child Clinical Psychologist, Dr. Maylin Griffiths. Get answers to your questions and create a plan for your kids and their electronics this summer.
About Our Guest
Dr. Maylin is a wife, mother, and clinical child psychologist. She spent the past 12 years working with children and families in inpatient units, residential settings, and outpatient care. Through her clinical work, she discovered everyone is really just doing the best they can for the children they care the most about. Through her personal experiences as a mom, she discovered that parenting is HARD. Really Hard. What she also discovered is that being PROACTIVE rather than REACTIVE has made a huge difference in her confidence as a parent and in her relationship with her children. Dr. Maylin developed Raising Character as a way of integrating clinical knowledge and proactive parenting with the belief that raising children should be fun, enjoyable, and memorable. She’s on a mission to raise children we’ll admire as adults.
Action Items and Tips From the Show
- Let’s talk about WHY we’re using screen time with our children?
- Educational purposes?
- Quick break?
- Reward for positive behavior?
- Let’s remove judgment around this topic because we don’t always know the WHY behind why a parent is using screen time for their child.
- No current studies that show the perfect amount of screen time and this is likely because it will vary for each child.
- Some children are wired more hyperactive and are easily overstimulated. These kids will respond differently to screen time as it will likely reeve them up or increase their stimulation.
- eye tics
- jittery movements
- increases in aggressive behaviors
- Difficulties with sleep regulation
- If you’re seeing any of the above negatives from screen time, here are some ideas:
- Let your kids be bored. This sparks creativity.
- Use real-life examples of education. Baking for math, scavenger hunts for science, etc.
- Quiet time boxes for breaks
- Experiences for rewards (get to go on an adventure, or read a book together, or pick the dessert for after dinner)
Ready to create balance in your life? Life Balance membership contains the courses to help you build the systems of balance for working Christian moms. Plus, you’ll have access to our Bible study, Setting Goals in God’s Will, planning tools to help you apply everything that you are learning, podcast bonus material, monthly group coaching, community support and more! Start your free 7-day trial and get access to everything through the Your Life Rocks app or from your computer.
Have you subscribed to the show yet? Don't miss a single upcoming episode because when you subscribe, you will automatically get it the show in your app. If you don't have a podcast app, not to worry. You can download the Your Life Rocks app and get the shows right in the palm of your hand. Otherwise, click here to subscribe on iTunes or here for Android.
Love the show? It would mean the world if you would leave a rating and review. It helps other working Christian moms find the show because if you like the show enough to leave a review, iTunes will suggest it to others. Click here to leave a review in iTunes. Just click on "Ratings and Reviews", then "Write a Review".
Learn More About Our Guest
Social Media Links: https://www.instagram.com/raisingcharacter/